RIGHT TO BUILD EXPO: UNLOCKING THE POTENTIAL OF CUSTOM & SELF-BUILD HOUSING
This took place on the 8 March 2018, Westpoint Centre, Exeter EX5 1DJ
Post-event presentations and handouts
Here you can view and download speakers’ slides and handouts:
- The Right to Build Task Force: Supporting Custom & Self Build delivery in the UK, Mario Wolf, Task Force Director
- Opportunities for Custom & Self Build across Greater Exeter- learning from Teignbridge, Simon Thornley, Business Manager, Strategic Place, Teignbridge District Council
- Examples from the neighbourhood: Enabled Community Self Build development- The Nelson Project in Plymouth, Alex South, Operations Director at Veterans Self Build and Community Self Build Agency
- Examples from the neighbourhood: Local authority enabled group Custom and Self Build housing- Broadhempston CLT project, Devon, Hugo Davies and Geoff Dowson
- The Citizen Sector: How custom and self-build needs to be the new normal, Alastair Parvin, Co-Founder of WikiHouse Foundation
- Keynote address by Richard Bacon MP, Task Force Ambassador and Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Self-Build, Custom and Community Housebuilding and Place-Making [to follow]
- Potton custom build model, Dr Paul Newman, Director, Potton
These sessions were largely discussion based. The masterclasses below provided some documentation:
About the event
On 8 March 2018, the next Right to Build Expo will be held at the Westpoint Centre, Exeter. The region’s designers, builders, planners, surveyors, lenders, developers, landowners, community groups and local authorities – everyone you need to meet to start a custom and self-build project – will be at this right to build event. – –
Match up your right to build ambitions with services, support and experience, and explore how custom and self-build housing can be delivered effectively.
You are invited to attend the next in a series of popular regional events, brought to you by NaCSBA, the Right-to-Build Task Force and Wood for Good, in partnership.
Local authorities, NaCSBA members and Wood for Good supporters can register FREE for all our Right-to-Build Expos.
Background to Right to Build
All local authorities in England now have a legal duty to prepare and publicise ‘Right to Build’ demand registers for people in their areas that want to commission their own home. They must also grant planning permission for sufficient ‘shovel ready’ plots to meet the demand on their registers within three years.
Now is the time for those implementing the Right to Build – local authorities, community groups, landowners and developers – to harness the potential of the new legislative framework and unlock custom and self build housing opportunities in their area.
Benefits of attending
Right to Build Expo brings together all the players you need to meet and hear from to kick start your own Right to Build success story. From politics and planning to practice and delivery, it bridges the gap between those with profound custom and self build experience and groups who still need to get there.
- Get unrivalled insight into the best way to get started from the people who have actually done it.
- Be inspired by panel discussions with leaders of local developments.
- Get advice on legal, financial, and political practicalities.
- Hear case studies from local and international custom and self build schemes and particular opportunities for Garden Towns.
The Right to Build Expo will galvanize you and your team with in-depth access to success stories and ‘how-to’s’ from other regions. Get directly connected to expert support from the Task Force and understand how to maximize the full potential of the Right to Build demand registers.
“Excellent – informative and inspirational” – local authority Expo delegate.
PART 1: THE POTENTIAL OF CUSTOM AND SELF BUILD HOUSING
9:00 Registration, coffee & networkingWelcome & opening address
- Right to Build Registers and assessing demand, Mario Wolf with Lin Cousins, Three Dragons)
- Mortgage and finance availability, Raymond Connor, BuildStore
- How to implement Right to Build, Roy Williams, Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government
- How to facilitate building plots, Mark Stevenson, Potton
- Planning for Custom and Self Build housing, Sally Tagg, Managing Director, Foxley Tagg Planning Limited
- The neighbourhood planning dimension – how to incorporate Custom and Self Build into a Neighbourhood Plan, John Palmer, Enhabit Ltd
15:00 Coffee break & networking in the exhibition
Thanks to our sponsors
Tickets and sponsor packages
Local authorities, NaCSBA members and Wood for Good supporters can register FREE for all our Right-to-Build events, and can access preferential conditions on all sponsor packages.If you are interested in maximising your impact on potential clients at Right to Build Expos, please contact Christiane.email@example.com or 07909 335232 about the sponsorship opportunities available at all our regional Expos.
Special rates available for NaCSBA members and Wood for Good supporters.
For Expo news, follow @RightToBuildTF @nacsba @Wood_for_Good