Essential CPD training for planning, housing and built-environment professionals, in association with Trowers & Hamlins.
With over 40,000 people now registered on local authority Self-build and Custom housebuilding registers the Custom and Self Build sector is set to grow dramatically.
But there remains a lack of knowledge around best practice and routes to delivery. With a range of models and mechanisms to choose from, how do you know which routes are the right choice for your needs.
This training will enable you to implement primary legislation, Government planning policy and related guidance, which together, set the framework for enabling the provision of permissioned serviced building plots to meet local demand as you deliver the ‘Right to Build’.
PLUS, this training can contribute to your CPD requirements for members of the RTPI
Who should attend?
Local authority housing, planning, regeneration, development and estates officers
Developers, housebuilders and housing associations
Established community housing groups
Housing and Planning consultants and advisors
- Learn more about the key parts of the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding legislation, how local authorities are applying it and the scope of their duties and powers.
- Emerging practice on Self-build and Custom housebuilding registers will be addressed and relevant aspects of revised national planning policy, including how it can deliver affordable housing
- Better understand how to assess the demand for Self Build and Custom housebuilding to inform local plan policies and support project delivery
- Learn about how Design Codes, plot passports and Local Development Orders can be used effectively to support Custom and Self Build housing projects on larger sites, learning from the UK’s biggest project to date
- Gain insight into effective use of planning conditions and obligations to secure the timely delivery of Self Build and Custom housebuilding on sites.
Training running order
1215 Arrival for registration and sandwich lunch
1245 Welcome and introduction from the Right to Build Task Force and Trowers & Hamlins
1300 The Self-Build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015, supporting Regulations and national planning policy - what does it mean and what progress are Councils making, with examples of good practice
1340 Design Codes, plot passports and Local Development Orders to support Custom and Self Build housing projects on larger sites - experience from Graven Hill
1420 Coffee break
1445 Understanding demand to inform the preparation of Local Plans
1525 Securing Custom and Self Build development through the planning application process – the role of planning obligations and conditions
1605 Summary of key points and next steps
Cost: £299 +VAT per person, discounted to £249 +VAT per person for National Custom and Self Build Association members
The Right to Build Task Force is a NaCSBA initiative set up with the help of the Government and the Nationwide Foundation to support the delivery of significantly more affordable Custom and Self Build housing projects across the UK.
This training event has been made possible with the support of Trowers & Hamlins