This year’s FINAL expo in the series of custom and self-build information events was hosted by Leeds City Council. Expos are specially produced and curated information events providing regional perspectives of custom and self-build housing around the UK.
We’ve updated this page with PDF’s of the slides and attendee list from the Expo (see below).
Leeds City Council
Sponsors of Right to Build Expo, Leeds:
Civic Hall, Calverley Street, Leeds LS1 1UR
PDF to view/download RTB_Leeds_Programme_FINAL)
Post-event information (slides; attendee list)
(Note: The Masterclasses were discussion-based; no slides).
- Slide set 1: (PDF) RTBExpoLeeds_Slidedeck1_Open-Break
- Slide set 2: (PDF) RTBExpoLeeds_Slidedeck2_Break-Close
- Attendee list (no contacts): (PDF) RTBExpoLeeds_Participants_no contacts_V2
We thank these organisations for their participation and support at Leeds:
Bright Forest, Leeds Community Homes, Wrigleys Solicitors, BuildStore, Beattie Passive, Right to Build Task Force
PART 1: THE POTENTIAL OF CUSTOM AND SELF BUILD HOUSING
0845 Registration, coffee & networking
- 0915 Welcome by Michael Holmes, Chair, on behalf of NaCSBA & Wood for Good.
- 0945 Welcome by Cllr. Richard Lewis, Executive Member for Regeneration, Transport and Planning, Leeds City Council
Session 1: Supporting Custom and Self Build housing
- 0950 Keynote address: Paul Chatterton, Co-founder & Resident, LILAC (Low Impact Living Affordable Community)
- 1000 Why support Custom and Self Build housing, Richard Bacon MP, Task Force Ambassador and Chair of the All-Party Parliamentary Group on Self Build, Custom & Community House-building & Place-making
- 1015 Overview of the Custom and Self Build sector, Michael Holmes, Chair NaCSBA
- 1025 The Right to Build Task Force and the technical models for delivery: supporting Custom & Self Build delivery in the UK, Mario Wolf, Task Force Director
- 1050 Interview with Paul Chatterton, LILAC and panel discussion on the benefits of community-led housing.
- 1105 Questions from the floor
1115 Coffee break & networking in the exhibition
- 1145 Facilitating Custom and Self Build at scale – a landowner’s perspective, Matt Johnson, Wynyard Park Housing
- 1215 Panel discussion on the opportunities for Custom and Self Build on large housing sites
Session 2: Facilitating the release of building plots, mortgages and funding availability
- 1230 Mortgage availability, Thomas McSherry, BuildStore and interview with Ecology Building Society and Homes England
- 1300 An introduction to the Community Housing Fund, Helen Fielding, Homes England
- 1315 Questions from the floor
1330 Networking lunch/market forum in the exhibition space
PART 2: DELIVERING CUSTOM AND SELF BUILD HOUSING
- 1430 Welcome by Michael Holmes, chair (on behalf of NaCSBA & Wood for Good)
- 1435 Planning for Custom & Self Build and local authorities action, Mario Wolf, Right to Build Task Force, with speakers from Leeds City Council
Session 2: Mastering delivery
1500 Choice of p.m. activities:
SITE VISIT (LILAC local community-led housing project, close by
**NOW FULLY BOOKED**) or MASTERCLASSES
You can opt to attend EITHER 2x Masterclasses OR the SITE VISIT to LILAC, a local Leeds community-led housing scheme. You will be prompted for your selection when booking your place.
- Legislation, Guidance & Good Practice, with Ministry of Housing, Communities & Local Government
- Mortgage and finance availability, with BuildStore and Ecology Building Society
- How to facilitate building plots, with Potton
- Funding opportunities for bringing forward housing, with Homes England
- Planning for Custom and Self Build housing, with Foxley Tagg Planning
- OR: Visit to LILAC: local community-led housing scheme, Leeds
(places limited, first-come, first-served basis; transport provided)
NB: Site Visit group will not be able to book/attend Masterclasses
1530 Coffee break & networking in the exhibition
Session 3: Masterclasses repeat
- 1600 For selection of Masterclasses, see above
Session 4: Kick-starting your Right to Build project
- 1630 Take-away messages and first-steps, Michael Holmes, chair
(Site Visit group returns to venue for close of Expo)
Who should attend
Local authorities, planners, housing, design and development professionals, co-/collective/community housing groups, landowners.
Benefits of attending
- Kick-start your own custom and self-build success story.
- Network and share your experiences so far.
- Learn about the Right-to-Build Task Force and what it can do for you.
- Discover how pioneering councils, experienced developers and landowners are capitalising on custom and self-build opportunities.
- Get expert, one-to-one help and advice.
The Right to Build Expo will galvanize you and your team with in-depth access to success stories and ‘how-to’s from other regions. Get directly connected to expert support from the Task Force and understand how to maximize the full potential of the custom and self-build opportunities.
How do I book onto masterclasses or the site visit?
Delegates can select their preferred options when registering for tickets on Eventbrite. Your confirmation will detail which options you made.
Staying in touch with you
By registering for this event, you understand that Right to Build Taskforce and Expo partners (NaCSBA) can continue to contact you about the Expos and that you can unsubscribe from their email list at any time.
Talks & presentations from this Expo
Slides from this Expo and a delegate list will be posted up soon after the event.
Who attended on the day?
A delegate list will be posted up soon after the event (names, organisations only)
“Excellent event, inspiring speakers and discussions”
– urban designer, recent Expo delegate
About the Right to Build Expos
These events are produced and curated specifically for each region’s custom and self-build and related communities. The Expos match up custom and self-build ambitions with services, support and experience, and explore how custom and self-build housing can be delivered effectively for each region.
This Expo will be the next in a series of regionally-focused custom and self-build housing events running around the UK until 2019, presented by NaCSBA’s Right to Build Taskforce and Wood for Good, in partnership.
Sponsorship – great exposure for your organisation
If you are interested in maximising your impact on potential clients at Expos for 2019, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org about the sponsorship and exhibiting opportunities available at all our regional Expos. Special rates available for NaCSBA members and Wood for Good supporters.
Keep in touch
Look out for Tweets from: @RightToBuildTF @nacsba @Wood_for_Good